[Mesorah] shaleach vs. sh'loach

Michael Hamm msh210 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 12:03:55 PDT 2009

Myself (MH):
<Some time ago, I mentioned that I'd seen a perush that said that
shaleach in piel means to allow someone to leave whereas sh'loach in
kal (paal) means to send <snip>.
I've found the citation: RSRH on Chukas, on the pasuk
"vay'shalach... han'chashim has'rafim".>

Harav EMT:
<How does RSRH explain "shaleiach t'shalach es ha'eim," which means
much more than merely allowing the mother to leave?  And what about
"v'shilach oso la'azazeil hamidbara"?>

In Chukas, in the English translation, he doesn't.  (My understanding
is that the original has a number of grammatical notes not translated
in the English version, so if anyone has it and knows German, that may
help.)

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh210 at gmail.com