[Mesorah] shaleach vs. sh'loach

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Jul 7 06:38:30 PDT 2009

Short answer to the several questions which have been raised, based on RSRH:  In the Kal, it means to specifically send someone, without that person having a special impulse of his own to get there. In the Piel, it means allowing someone to go in the direction he is already striving to go in. My guess is that the intensity which we expect from a Piel word comes from the fact that the one who is sent is not merely going because the sender wants him to go, but because he himself also wants to go.

For this post, I am very indebted to Matityahu Clark's "Etymological Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew, based on the commentaries of Samson Raphael Hirsch" (Feldheim), for collecting the many places where RSRH discusses this word. For the benefit of those who do not have this wonderful sefer, I have included his notes on this word as an Appendix at the end of this post. I should also note that my resources allowed me to research only the citations from Chumash and Tehillim, and even then, only in English translation (Isaac Levy's of Chumash and Gertrude Hirschler's of Tehillim).

I'll sign my name here, as the remainder of this post is essentially from other people's writings. My apologies for for any quirks or errors in my vowelizing or transliteration style.

---- Akiva Miller