[Mesorah] Tenollanu?

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Tue Jul 14 02:56:15 PDT 2009

Just to complicate things, I refer you all to Mikraot
Gedolot Shlomo Netter 1859 aka Shoken where the Mesora on
the page of Breshit 2:23, luk'cha-zot, states: leita, the
lamed with meteg, kuf rafa l'hakel, and two k'matzim
hatufim, zayin degusha midin dachik.

And now I could use a little help. Does anyone have the
Tikkun Sofrim of Breishit by R' Shlomo Dubna (in
Mendelssohn's chumash).  I have only a very bad photocopy
which shows both sides of the original page at about equal
strength and is almost impossible to read. As I no longer go
to Bar-Ilan and don't live in a city, I have no easy access
to a library that might have it.

After quoting various sources on the lamed and kuf and the
meaning of dagesh, ma'arikh, meteg, and g'aya, he goes on.
What I can make out, with some guessing, is:

v'dagesh bzayyin midin dachik ki af shehakamatz bachet hu
kamatz gadol b'li s'mikhut, mikol makom b'hisamekh hamila
l'achareha b'makaf yishtaneh l'kamatz chatuf.

And if the transliteration is not easily read" There is a
dagesh in the zayyin midin dachik because, although the
kamatz in the chet is a kamatz gadol, when it is attached to
the following word by a meteg the kamatz changes to a kamatz
chatuf.

I'd be overjoyed if someone can tell me if my reading of R'
Shlomo Dubna is close to correct.
As noted before, I am not taking a side in the argument
because I have never really tried to investigate and
understand the different opinions. I also haven't taken
sides on the question of the possible mix-up in the
definitions of din dachik and ati merachik.

Anxiously awaiting to hear from someone who hasn't burned
his Mendelssohn chumash and has the clear text.

k"t,

David