[Mesorah] Shitrei or Shtarei Hovoteinu

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 08:36:17 PDT 2009

2009/7/13 גודיק שלמה <Shlomog at iteam.co.il>

>  A recent broadcast on Israeli radio pointed out that the s'michut of
> words of binyan "ketel" differs from that of binyan k'tal. The first binyan
> is of Tanachic provenance, while the second is post-Tanachic and entered
> Hebrew under the influence of Aramaic.

Not post-Tanachic:  yekar, ketav, kerav and she'ar are all biblical, and the
last is used by Isaiah (She'ar Yashuv) and unlikely to be from Aramaic. See
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Gesenius%27_Hebrew_Grammar_%281910_Kautzsch-Cowley_edition%29.djvu/256

> The first group includes words like "perek", "beged", "perach", and
> "peleg", and their s'michut in the plural is "pirkei", "bigdei", pirchei",
> and "palgei".  The second group contains words like "p'ras", "p'gam",
> "p'rat", and "k'lal", and their 'smichut forms are "p'rasei", "p'gamei",
> p'ratei", and "k'lalei"  (even though 99% of Israelis wrongly say "pirtei
> p'ratim" instead of "p'ratei p'ratim").
>
> My question is: at first glance, the words "sh'tar" and "p'sak" also belong
> to the second group. But in the siddur we find the usage: "shitrei
> hovoteinu", not "sh'tarei".   Also I have never heard anybody say "p'sakei
> halacha" (as opposed to "piskei z'man" for intermissions).   Are these
> simply examples of misuse of the language?  Do S'faradim pronounce them
> "sh'tarei" and "p'sakei"?.

 The Spanish and Portuguese in London and New York do say "shetarei
hhovoteinu", though all other Sepharadi siddurim that I checked have
"shitrei".

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Ira L. Jacobson <laser at ieee.org> wrote:
A prime example is kitvei, which derives from ketav.  I don't think any
authority finds fault with kitvei haqodesh.

I remember that R EE Wiesenberg zt"l once asked me what perek of gemara I
was learning, and I said "Kol Kitvei Hakodesh". He replied that while that
pronounciation was common in yeshivot, he had expected that at Jews' College
it would be called "Kol Ketavei Hakodesh".