[Mesorah] Shitrei or Shtarei Hovoteinu

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Tue Jul 14 08:08:02 PDT 2009

At 08:36 13-07-2009 -0700, Simon Montagu stated the following:
>On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Ira L. Jacobson
><<mailto:laser at ieee.org>laser at ieee.org> wrote:
>A prime example is kitvei, which derives from ketav.   I don't think
>any authority finds fault with kitvei haqodesh.
>
>I remember that R EE Wiesenberg zt"l once asked me what perek of
>gemara I was learning, and I said "Kol Kitvei Hakodesh". He replied
>that while that pronounciation was common in yeshivot, he had
>expected that at Jews' College it would be called "Kol Ketavei Hakodesh".

One can only speculate on what the good rabbi had in mind -- perhaps
he was being sarcastic.  In any event, Barcaly's Lu'ah Hashemot
Hashalem lists precisely three exceptions to the
rule:  ketav--kitvei, shetar--shitrei and pesaq--pisqei.

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org