[Mesorah] Lemarbe hamisra

Noah Witty nwitty at optonline.net
Tue Feb 17 07:05:20 PST 2009

Gershon Dubin wrote:
> The Tanach from which I read the haftorah this Shabbos had lemarbeh as two words, per one of the opinions in the Minchas Shai.  Anyone else see this?  Anyone who can shed some light on the machlokes, beyond what the M"Sh writes?
>
> Gershon
> gershon.dubin at juno.com

I've been waiting for someone to reply and apparently there is nothing
new forthcoming.

The Minchas Shai's essay is quite comprehensive.  If he had written half
of what is printed and then you found the other half somewhere else,
you'd be happy.  So now that it's all ke-shulchan 'arukh, it's no
good?!? /Etme-hah!  A chisaron: der kallah is tzu shain./

BTW, if you look at the Minchas Shai on the passuk in Nechemia (ch. 2, I
think), it will fill out somewhat the beautiful vort of the M"S on
/le-marbay/ in Yesha'yahu concerning the MEM sattum and parutz.  /Yehi
ratzon she-nizkeh bimhaira biyameinu./

Noach Witty