[Mesorah] Fw: Tzuras Shiras Devora

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Tue Feb 17 03:00:18 PST 2009

Re: RGD's question on he form of shirat Devorah:

In the Keter, the last two lines are both two-section lines,
 i.e., ariach al gabei ariach.

 BTW, the Keter also has the last two lines of Shirat Ha-yam
 as two-section lines.

 Breuer has a chapter on the forms  of the shira in his book
 on the Keter. He mentions that, in the different
 manuscripts, there are different breakdowns of the two- and
 three- section lines but I don't believe he goes into the
 last two lines except to show the form in the Keter.

 As to Shirat Ha-yam, my experience has been that the last
 two lines in most sifrei Torah do not follow the Keter but
 continue the 2+3 format. The only difference is that many
 have the word bayam at the end of the last line while
others
 have the "last" line end with b'tokh and the word bayam at
the
 beginning of the otherwise "blank" line.  Those sefarim
also have
 'avdo, the last word before the shira, at  the beginning of
the "blank"
 line six and end line five with uvMoshe.

 Yekke and Sefaradic seforim have the
single-word-on-blank-line format.  R' Wolf Heidenheim
recommends it at the end of sefer Shemot in his chumash with
'Ein Hakorei (1818) and states that it appears so in "Sefer
Ezra Hasofer" and "sifrei Sefarad". He quotes R' Yehuda Pisa
as stating, "We put the word 'avdo at the beginning of line
six [of the amud} to make it like the others aliba d'khuli
alma, and also the word bayam on line 31 [of the shira], and
although there is a machloket and many opinions, no'adu
rabanei ugeonei eretz and instructed, halakha lema'aseh, to
do it this way.

bivrakha,

David