[Mesorah] karva shenas hasheva

Benjamin M. Kandel bkandel at yu.edu
Mon Aug 17 07:23:01 PDT 2009

It is certainly a kametz gadol, and it means "the seventh year came
close."  If it were a kametz katan, the phrase wouldn't really make sense
at all. It would mean something like "closeness seventh year" - it really
wouldn't make sense.  It would be the same shoresh either way, though.
And in any case, if the ba'al korei isn't makpid on shva nach and shva na,
it's not correctible.

Kol tuv

Ben Kandel