[Mesorah] Sefardic nusach of brachos

Joshua Meisner jmeisner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 21:17:44 PDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Hayyim Obadyah <HayyimObadyah at aol.com>wrote:

>  The changes in the Hebrew of the Ashkenazic prayerbook to use
> phonological rules of Biblical Hebrew took place in the 17th century when a
> movement among grammarians to return to the 'purity' of Biblical Hebrew
> coincided with an increase in printed prayerbooks over which they had
> influence.  The change of geshem to gashem and gefen to gafen were both part
> of that.  In hammosi lehem min ha'ares, the word lehem does not occur at the
> end of a clause and so it was not changed to lahem.

My second question was regarding the word ha-aretz vs. ha-eretz, not
regarding the word lechem, but modifying my original suspicion based on your
answer, I guess that the bracha on bread was set up using the accented form
ha-aretz rather than the basic form ha-eretz because it was based on a
passuk in Tehillim, while the bracha on wine was set up using the Mishnaic
form, which did not utilize the accented form.  Correct?

Thanks,

Josh