[Mesorah] Sefardic nusach of brachos

Hayyim Obadyah HayyimObadyah at aol.com
Sat Sep 6 20:31:25 PDT 2008

The changes in the Hebrew of the Ashkenazic prayerbook to use phonological
rules of Biblical Hebrew took place in the 17th century when a movement
among grammarians to return to the 'purity' of Biblical Hebrew coincided
with an increase in printed prayerbooks over which they had influence.  The
change of geshem to gashem and gefen to gafen were both part of that.  In
hammosi lehem min ha'ares, the word lehem does not occur at the end of a
clause and so it was not changed to lahem.
Sephardim simply did not make those changes, retaining the prayerbook
dialect, which is closer to Mishnaic than Biblical Hebrew.

(The article is normally (as in haggefen) a pathah plus dagesh in the
following letter.  The alef does not take a dagesh, so the pathah in
compensation is lengthened to a qames.  Although ha'ares is unusual in the
seghol always changing to qames after the article, the vocalization of the
article is standard, and this has no bearing on the issue.)

Hayyim
  _____