[Mesorah] nasog achor

Elazar M. Teitz remt at juno.com
Thu Oct 16 12:53:49 PDT 2008

<I don't know dikduk but I do know that it is almost impossible to say "haVU GOdel" without a distinct pause between the two words and therefore almost everybody actually says "HAvu GOdel" regardless of what's written.>

     Why is it any more difficult to say "haVU Godel" than to say, e.g., "beTWEEN MEEtings"?

     The reason you hear "HAvu GOdel" so commonly is because that's what people expect it to be, and are simply unaware that nasog achor is not applied here.  If we were to judge by what most people say, I would conclude that it's difficult to pronounce l'EIla and sh'maYA in kaddish, since most people say l'eiLA and sh'MAya.

EMT
Get everything you need to hook up your own wireless network by clicking now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3npyAEkIyh0RRpCbEf1KrdBwc7ER5QUI5cXzzgBBmS4699Vb/