[Mesorah] Chataf Patach

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Tue Nov 25 12:18:17 PST 2008

Re: <<The chataf-patach on yimcha-u is not optional: the
chet,
a gronit, >>

I gave yimcha-u as an example of over emphasis of the patach
sound.

The reason I remembered that word at the moment I was
writing the posting is that the chataf patach is unusual in
that word for other reasons. In words where the sh'va na' is
followed by a-h-chet-ayin the shva used to take the tone of
the following vowel which is a shuruk and not a patach.  I
don't know how to transliterate a short, weak, u sound
(unemphasized) followed by a normal u sound.

David