[Mesorah] Chataf Patach

Noah Witty nwitty at optonline.net
Tue Nov 25 11:36:16 PST 2008

I don't have access to B"A or B"N, but minchas Shai states: Hatzadi
be-she-va leva-dohbechol sefareinu." (i'm doing this by heart.  I'm
certain of the first three words only.)
As to R' Bennett's comment:  only groniyot alef-heh-ayin-chet take a
chatf-anything ina  place that a sheva would have been called for had
the letter been any other.

We have all seen the raish take it as well, perhaps because it is gronit
(is it really?). The chatf-patach on yimcha-u is not optional: the chet,
a groonit,  takes the sheva with difficulty; hence the chataf.  The
examples below are really a substitute to force the sheva into a na'
especially when you have two consecutive letters the same and the first
is sheva.  My copy of michlol of RaDa"K has vayisrotzitzu with a sheva
only under the first tzadi.

Noach Witty