[Mesorah] "m*ei*shiv haruach"

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Thu Jul 17 11:20:50 PDT 2008

The singer of the first song in this week's INN (
http://www.inn.co.il/Radio/) haMitz'ad haChassidi show (
mms://media.a7.org/a7radio/shows/mitzad.mp3 -- you can start hearing its
lyrics by skipping to approximately 2:00, and a clear repetition of the
first line can be heard beginning at approximately 3:10) is saying
"m*ei*shiv haruach umorid hageshem" rather than "m*a*shiv haruach."  I'm
assuming that "meishiv" (with a tzeireh) is used in certain nuschaos
(perhaps eidos haMizrach and s'farad/chassidish?) and am curious to
understand what is meant by "He *returns* [the wind]" rather than the "He
causes [the wind] to blow" of "mashiv."  If it comes from Midrash Rabbah
on Rus (the reference for which I found via Google -- see
http://tinyurl.com/68g5js), wouldn't the phrase have been "meishiv
*ba*ruach"?  advaThanksnce for your thoughts.

P.S. This message was posted to Yahoo! Davening earlier today (
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/davening/message/1220).

A guten Shabbes/Shabbas Shalom and all the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA