[Mesorah] vay'an'cha (vayar'ivech

אברהם פרנס avparnes at zahav.net.il
Fri Aug 22 06:45:02 PDT 2008

Benjamin wrote:
"The sheva is indeed nah"
I take it from your post that nah means nach.

I will go out on a limb and say that with this Shva , even if a case can be made for a na, should be read as a nach. Too many people who layn (and I do not include Baalei Kriah) say vayaAncha. If read with a shva nach, it is easier to hear the difference between a shva and a patach. I heard three different layners this week who all said vayaAncha insread of vay'ancha or vayehancha. Shabbat Mincha I tried to correct but was not heard. Monday morning I had to repeat the correction three or four times until the layner understood what I wanted from him. A pet peeve of mine are gabaim who want to widen the circles of layners and send amateurs instead of baaley Kriah.
Avi