[Mesorah] Cholov Yisroel or Chaleiv Yisroel?

Seth Mandel sethm37 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:50:20 PDT 2007

Methinketh that R DB accurately represented my position.  It is as useless
to research the Hebrew grammatical basis of a borrowed term in English as it
would be to try to determine the correctine Latin grammatical form of an
English borrowing from French.  Yes, the French word for city is from Latin
civitas, but English did not borrow it from the Latin, but from French cite.
  All of your ratiocinations might have some bearing if English speakers had
borrowed the term cholov yisroel from Hebrew or from Rashi.  They did not.
They borrowed it from Yiddish speakers.  V'ho ra'yo: there is no Hebrew word
akum, as R DB alluded to.  There is no Hebrew word shlita.  These are
written abbreviations in Hebrew, and represent the Hebrew words that were
said.  Yiddish speakers got into the habit of pronouncing abbreviations,
such as akum, and Lubavitchers started using shlita as a word, and that
spread.
The term' cholov yisroel, however pronounced, is not an original Hebrew
term.  Chazal, whom, one might assume, knew the real Hebrew terms on
halakhic subjects, used the word "cholov shechalovo goy" (AZ 2:6).  They
talked about g'vinos hagoyim or g'vinas hagoyim, but not cholov of goyim.
The Rambam, who also knew Hebrew, wrote "cholov hanimtzo b'yad goy" (M'A
3:13) and "cholov shechalovuhu" (3:15).  They did not use the term chXlXv
goy, which would mean there was some sort of g'zerah on milk belonging to a
goy, which is not the case.  And note that Chazal did not use the term aqu'm
to refer to regular goyim, nor does the Rambam.  'Oved kokhavim was used to
refer to star worshipers or people who were clearly 'ovdei 'avodo zoro, not
stam goyim.  'aku'm (the abbreviation, since the only word pronounced akum
in Hebrew means crooked) referring to general goyim was an invention of the
goyim who were censors.  The use of the term pronounced 'akum was therefore
never a Hebrew use at all, but developed in Europe several generations after
the word goyim had been mostly switched to the abbreviation 'QWM by the
censors in printed works.  The Tur and the SA in ms. both used the terms
cholov shechalovo goy, but in printed editions of the SA the word goy has
been switched to 'oved kokhavim, and then abbreviated 'QWM by later
acharonim.
In summary, the Hebrew term spelled HLB 'QWM is a development in Europe
during the period of the Acharonim, both in the choice of words and the use
of 'QWM to refer to a Gentile.
The Ashkenaz Acharonim spoke Yiddish.
Therefore, HLB 'QWM was pronounced as a Yiddish speaker would, cholov akum.
English borrowed from Yiddish speakers, the term as pronounced by Yiddish
speakers.
Were one to wish to use the Hebrew term, it would be cholov shechalovo goy.
Unless you know Hebrew better than Chazal (oops, I mean chachamenu zikhronom
livrokho).