[Mesorah] Cholov Yisroel or Chaleiv Yisroel?

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Mon Sep 10 12:55:03 PDT 2007

David Bannett wrote:
> R' Seth would tell us that cholov okum and cholov
> hacompanies are perfectly fine expressions in Yiddish but,
> of course, not in Hebrew. Rashi spoke French, not Yiddish.
> Therefore, he knew how to say things in Hebrew.

Yes, exactly. We're talking about a Hebrew phrase. Not a Yiddish phrase. Nor, as someone suggested to me off-list, a Yinglish phrase. It is a phrase of the Rabbinic Hebrew language, easily found in the relevant sections of Yoreh Deah.

Except... except... except I can't find it!

First is the obvious problem that without vowels, chalav and chaleiv are spelled the same. But more than that, in my quick glance through Yoreh Deah 115 and Chochmas Adam 67, I was not able to find the phrases "Chal_v Yisrael" or "Chal_v Akum". I only see things like "chalav SHEL akum" or other long descriptive terms. This would add even more credence to the idea that the two-word phrases are Yinglish, and need not conform to rules of Hebrew.

Here's another data point which might be helpful: Has anyone ever seen the phrase "Chalav Yisrael" (in any alphabet) on a food which was NOT marketed to the Yiddish or English speaking communities? (For example, are there any kosher dairy foods produced in France which are not exported?)

Akiva Miller