[Mesorah] Cholov Yisroel or Chaleiv Yisroel?

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Mon Sep 10 13:29:27 PDT 2007

Re:   <<Sorry.  Halav akum is indeed the possessive.  Akum
is not an adjective, but a noun.>>

chaleiv tzon:  tzon is not an adjective but a noun.

chaleiv imo:  Mother's are not adjectives but nouns.

**chaleiv goyim** (Yeshayahu 60:16):  Goyim are not
adjectives but nouns as are akums and nokhrim.

chaleiv 'izim:  'izim are not adjectives but nouns.

In other words while chakham, when possessive becomes
hataf-patach patach and 'ashan becomes 'eshen,  chalav
becomes chaleiv hataf-patach tzeireh.

I do not derive my opinion on these words from rules of
dikduk but from the Torah. My examples above are from the
Tanakh. That's the way these possessive words are written
there. The hataf-patach patach form of chalav suggested in
the Re: quote above does not appear in the Torah.

BTW, I too have been corrected. chaleiv aku"m = milk of a
goy.  Halakhically it is not, as I equated it, = "milk owned
by a goy"  but = "milked by a goy".  In a way, I was more
halakhically correct in my other suggestion, "produced by a
goya".

kvh"t,

David