[Mesorah] Cholov Yisroel or Chaleiv Yisroel?

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Mon Sep 10 13:23:48 PDT 2007

B'vir'chas k'siva vachasima tova,

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, D&E-H Bannett wrote, in part:
> chalav aku"m means milk that is an oved kochavim umazalot.
>
> I don't think milk is capable of that.
>
> chaleiv means:  milk of.
>
> chaleiv aku"m means milk of an aku"m.
>
> And what will we do with cholov hacompanies?

Granting, as R'DB doesn't, that "ch*l*c hacompanies" is Hebrew, it should,
of course, be "chalev hacompanies", like "chalev aku"m".  But if I recall
Hagramp correctly (which is unlikely) he says "ch*l*v d'company", in which
case it's "chalav".

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh210 at math.wustl.edu                Fine print: