[Mesorah] saying T'hilim 30 before "Hodu laH'"

David E Cohen ddcohen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:20:45 PDT 2007

I think that most Sefaradi or "Nusach Sefarad" siddurim, in which the order
is based on that of the Ari, have Tehillim 30 after "Hodu."

I am interested, however, in the issue of its placement in Nusach Ashkenaz.
Here's the development of things, as I recall reading about it.  Beli neder,
I will try over the next few days to track down where I read this so that I
can give proper attribution.

The original pesukei dezimra, as found in the siddurim of the ge'onim, go
straight from Barukh She'amar to Mizmor Lesodah or Yehi Khevod.  I think it
was the Ashkenazim who first introduced Hodu, and they put it after Barukh
She'amar, based on the logic that R' Michael Poppers was taught growing up.
When the Sefaradim started to include Hodu as well, they felt that it was
more important not to make a hefseik between the berakhos of the canonized
pesukei dezimra, so they put it before Barukh She'amar.

Much later, the talmidim of the Ari started adding Tehillim 30 ("Mizmor
Shir").  Since it is for chanukas habayis, they put it right after Hodu,
which was also said at chanukas habayis.  Since they davened "Nusach
ha'Ari," of course, the basis for today's "Ashkenazi nusach Sefarad," that
meant that it was right before Barukh She'amar.

Shortly thereafter, those who still davened the traditional Nusach Ashkenaz
decided to include Mizmor Shir as well.  The most proper place to put it
would have been after Hodu (right before Mizmor Lesodah) , since that would
have preserved the "chanukas habayis" connection, as well as remaining true
to the rule of "no Tehillim before Barukh She'amar" on which the placement
of Hodu in Nusach Ashkenaz was originally based.  Instead, though, they
decided to copy its property of being right before Barukh She'amar, and put
it right before Barukh She'amar in the Nusach Ashkenaz siddur.

Disclaimer: I read the article on this a long time ago, so I may be
remembering this incorrectly, and will need to check up on it.

--D.C.