[Mesorah] saying T'hilim 30 before "Hodu laH'"

MPoppers at kayescholer.com MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Wed Sep 5 12:50:12 PDT 2007

Permit me a brief prologue.  Growing up, I was taught that "Baruch
sheAmar" was akin to a "by Your leave" request/introduction to uttering
the praises of "shirei David avd'cha" in the presence of the "Melech
m'hullal batishbachos" (hence no "shirei David" should be said _before_
"Baruch sheAmar"), but that there was a custom which began with talmidei
haARYZaL to say T'hilim 30 ("Mizmor Shir Chanukas haBayis l'David") before
"Baruch sheAmar."  Later on during those growing-up years, I davened at a
nusach-s'fard shtiebel where, among other changes from the Minhag
Frankfurt I was used to, "Hodu laH'" etc. was said after T'hilim 30 and
before "Baruch sheAmar."  Ad kan prologue.

Today, I'm looking through SeforimOnline.ORG's list, and I see a PDF (
http://www.teachittome.com/seforim2/seforim/siddur_kol_yakov.pdf) for a
Siddur Kol Ya'akov (see listing 85 on
http://www.seforimonline.org/seforim4.html) which intended to reproduce
nusach haARYZaL.  Great -- a chance to see if T'hilim 30 is indeed listed
before "Baruch sheAmar!"  Well, it is...but it's listed *after* "Hodu
laH'" (see pp.92-94 and esp. see the intro. to "Hodu" on p.92, d'h'
Hinei)!!  So the relatively-recent nusach which nowadays seems pretty
widespread among Ashk'nazim (to say T'hilim 30 before "Hodu," if not also
before "Baruch sheAmar") appears to be "neither here nor there" -- it's
not in consonance w/ the kavanos as brought down b'sheim haARYZaL, but,
unless I'm mistaken, it's not based on anything other than his
instructions.  Can someone explain this issue further?  Thanks.

All the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA