[Mesorah] FW: Re: Lashon Tanach vs. Lashon Hazal

David E Cohen ddcohen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 04:05:55 PDT 2007

R' Rich Wolpoe wrote:
> FWIW the  Regalim paragrpah of  EL. Vel. Avoseinu  Melech
> Rachaman should imho NEVER have retzei bimnuchoseinu.
> {R. Artscroll is ambiguous.}  Both  Birnbaum and Heidenheim
> consider this a  paragraph about Reglaim and the reference
> here to Shabbos is out of place. It belongs ONLY to the final
> paragraph "v'hasi'einu which has a combined theme

Using that logic, how about "selach umchal la`avonoseinu beyom hashabbas
hazzeh uvyom hakkippurim hazzeh"?  I'm not referring to the final paragraph
of the kedushas hayom berakhah, where we fully expect (and find) a mention
of Shabbos, but to the paragraph between the "short" vidui and the "long"
vidui.  Thematically speaking, the mention of Shabbos in that paragraph
would seem to be out of place, yet it's there in every machzor I've checked.

I suspect the difference is that once we're already mentioning the day
("beyom hakkippurim hazzeh"), we want to mention all of the kedushos that
apply to the day.  "Retzei vimnuchaseinu," on the other hand, is simply
another bakashah that has to do with the fact that it is Shabbos, is no more
relevant to the paragraph of "melech rachaman racheim `aleinu" than it is to
any other paragraph besides the concluding paragraph of the berakhah.

--D.C.