[Mesorah] FW: Re: Lashon Tanach vs. Lashon Hazal

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 14:36:57 PDT 2007

On 9/20/07, Zvi Lampel <hlampel at thejnet.com> wrote:

> **I wrote:  "R' Birnbaum in his introduction cites R' Yaakov Emden as his
> source for declaring the phrase ["Elokeni
> vElokei avotenu" on a weekday festival] a printer's error. ... But when I
> stood at the *Amud* in my yeshiva and omitted the phrase, my Rosh Yeshiva
> corrected me.
>
> I was corrected off-list. I had it backwards. Rav Emden advocated
> including, not omitting, the phrase in the weekday Yom Tov davening, leaving
> only "retsay b'menuchaseinu" in parentheses.
>
> Zvi Lampel

As noted Birnbaum Follows Ya'vetz,  while Heidenheim does not.
Structurally Ya'vetz-Birnbaum make sense!   But I am comfortable either way.

FWIW the  Regalim paragrpah of  EL. Vel. Avoseinu  Melech Rachaman should
imho NEVER have retzei bimnuchoseinu. {R. Artscroll is ambiguous.}  Both
Birnbaum and Heidenheim consider this a  paragraph about Reglaim and the
reference here to Shabbos is out of place. It belongs ONLY to the final
paragraph "v'hasi'einu which has a combined theme

Tangentially, for many years I have maintained that the silence of POskei
Hador on an issue of Halcha/Mminhag is tantamount to acquiesecne.  HKBH has
decided to demonstrate to me over the last few weeks that this model is
perhaps not so solid -  and I will BEH give some illustrations of
questionable PHRASING that never received a proper Macha'ah DESPITE the fact
that Reb Artscroll himself has it 100% correct

--
Gmar Tov
Best Wishes for 5768,