[Mesorah] Lashon Tanach vs. Lashon Hazal

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 19 15:10:02 PDT 2007

I think RRW was talking about an effect similar to the one at the
heart of the alleged "Kuzari" Proof. Even if that wasn't his intent,
let me ask:

How does someone get a major change to the sound of the siddur to get
accepted? Doesn't nostalgia kick in an cause serious opposition? How
could this be right? I lived in four towns, and in all of them we said
"kadsheinu bemitzvosakh, vesein khelkeinu besorasakh, sabe'einu
mituvakh"? Well, except for that time I was stuck among those
Galitzianers, but even they said "ookh"! This "ekha" thing just sounds
weird, and doesn't fit the tune as well, to boot! (Yes, the rhythm had
to be adjusted in the nusach at some point as well.)

Khasivah veChasimah Tovah, vesheTir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,