[Mesorah] Fwd: Lashon Tanach vs. Lashon Hazal

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Wed Sep 19 08:11:36 PDT 2007

Re" <<wondering how pausals became so ubiquitous in
Siddurim/Machzormi/haggados at such a late date...It is hard
for me to believe that  if the non-pausals were the
exclusive  way of davening until the 17th century that they
were altered w/o great  opposition so thoroughly &  so
quickly.   By late 18th Century can you find any
haggados/Siddurim w/o Pausals in  any Ashkenazic - East or
West? >>

Sorry for the delay in reply.  Busy with other things.

We cannot be sure of whether there were more or less pausals
in use in "ancient" times because we are limited to written
sources with nikkud and there aren't that many.

Roedelheim press was famous for its diyyuk. Seligmann Baer
too.  They accepted the changes of RZ"H and RY"S as
improvements in the texts and, the influence of their books
spread beyond Western Ashkenaz.  The siddurim of R'
Shabbetai and of R' Eliyahu ben R' 'Azriel were considered
the best and they made many corrections that spread. With R'
Shabbetai and R' Eliyahu began the era of correcting errors
by examining  old sources. By the time of RZ"H and RY"S it
developed to inventing improvements.  The earlier work was
accepted without much problem.  The later development
aroused some opposition but its acceptance by RVH and SB
aided and abetted the textual  "improvement" or "reform".

It is only in the last 25-40 years that there have been
attempts to return to older forms.  Siddur Hagr"a Eizor
Eliyahu was the result of examining a  large number of older
siddurim in addition to the writings of the Gr'a to find the
"original" nusach or pronunciation.  Rinat Yisrael and
others have changed hagashem back to hageshem - despite RMF
in IM that as it is a hefsek it should be hagashem.  Is it a
hefsek? It is preceded and followed by others in a long list
of different attributes of HKBH.  The only hefsek is that
the printers separated it because it is said only part of
the year.  BTW, those who corrected back to hageshem do not
usually correct back to hatal with patach instead of the
pausal kamatz.  Some give mystical reasons for that kamatz.
No, I don't remember the details. Although neither Litvak
nor Yekke, I am not one who goes for mystics.

All we can do is look at the evidence of the written
nikkuded sources available to us. It is natural to then
assume that these are the facts and therefore correct.

gh"t,

David