[Mesorah] Cholov Yisroel or Chaleiv Yisroel?

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Tue Sep 11 13:54:37 PDT 2007

Could you check again?

Look after the second definition (second column of page 217
in my edition [Qiryat Sefer, printed 1973], second and third
lines).    It has hataf-patah, patah as the first choice
(end of second line), and hataf-patah, tzere as the second
choice (beginning of third line).

My Even Shoshan is the three-volume Qiryat Sefer printed in
1975 and halav appears in the first column on page 392.  As
I wrote it has only hataf patach - tzeire for the s'mikhut.
No second choice.  It has hp-p as the aramaic word for milk.
It lists three examples, namely  halev-beitzim, haleiv-yonim
and halev-tzippor.

As to halavo, you are correct, it is hp-kametz as everyone
knows. I slipped up as I usually do, writing without
thinking and then not looking at what I type . Perhaps I can
blame the Aramaic which does have a patach.  But then, I am
not an Aramaic speaker so who am I fooling.  I'm just
sloppy.

I think page 392 in 1975 probably trumps page 217 in 1973.

kvh"t,

David