[Mesorah] "Accurate" Ashkenazi Siddur

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 20 11:00:57 PDT 2007

On Mon, April 3, 2006 3:31 pm, David E Cohen wrote:
: I think that Eizor Eliyahu ...
: Unlike some other "Gra siddurim," though, they want to know EXACTLY how
: the Gra davened, not just how to apply his sevaros to our baseline
: nusach.  This means turning back the clock ~250 years on nusach
: Ashkenaz, and "undoing" all of the changes made by the various
: grammarians, in order to get the basic nusach to which the Gra
: initially applied his changes.

So, since sometime around Apr 4, I have been often using a copy of EE.

The same mechabeir has a 2 or 3 (depending on the edition) seifer set
on the siddur with selections (a paragraph to a couple of pages) from
rishonim. Yes, the Ri Ben Yaqar and the Avudraham, and other
peirushim, but also Tosafos and Rashi on tefillos discussed in the
gemara, I even found some selections from the Moreh.

However, his idea of the Gra's emendations to the siddur is pretty
minimalistic. E.g. he has Shalom Rav for Maariv, he doesn't have
"mashiv haruach umorid hatal", and many other of the more rarely
followed changes. OTOH, he does have two full parashios for the qorban
Tamid, not just a parashah and a pasuq.

: Any place where the text in this siddur differs from what we're used
: seeing in our nusach Ashkenaz siddurim today, there's an explanatory
: footnote.  I think that many more of these differences are due to
: undoing the "grammatical corrections" than are due to shitos of the
: Gra,
: making this a valuable work even for someone who has no particular
: interest in the nusach of the Gra per say.

... and he presumes the Gra said "beSorasekha".

Khasivah veChasimah Tovah, vesheTir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,