[Mesorah] RH a chag?

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Wed Oct 10 22:53:57 PDT 2007

At 17:36 10-10-07 -0400, Richard Wolpoe stated the following:

>On 10/10/07, Michael Hamm
><<mailto:msh210 at math.wustl.edu>msh210 at math.wustl.edu> wrote:
>My Artscroll Rosh Hashana machzor, on the page with "l'shana tova
>tikasev", says that after the first night it's traditional to say instead
>"gut yom tov" or "chag sameach".  Since when is RH a chag?  I thought that
>referred only to the shalosh r'galim.

 From the language of the Torah, we know that hag is only a day when
we bring qorban haggiga.
However, the psalm tells us "bakesseh leyom HAGGENU."  So apparently
by the time of David Hamelekh the word had a broader definition.

This being so, "hag same'ah is not proper Hebrew, but rather a
translation form Yiddish.  The term "vesamahta behaggekha" shows that
WE are to be happy, and not that the holiday should be happy.  The
proper Hebrew greeting is "mo`adim lesimha."

>Caveat. Motzo'ei YK is considered a YT in Yekke-land.

Assur bemelakha?  Qiddush?  If not, how do we recognize this yomtov?

The interesting thing is that on 11 Tishrei they start praying
shaharit five minutes early (at least the Petah Tiqwa yekkim do --
all four minyanim).

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org