[Mesorah] Yad Vashem, not Yad Veshem

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Oct 10 12:22:04 PDT 2007

In a recent letter I wrote about a "yad veshem" and R" Michael  Poppers noted
that it should be "yad v*a*sheim," not "yad  vesheim."

R' SBA then wrote:

>>The way we pronounce the kometz in that posuk is "yad  vosheim",
- closer to "vesheim' than "vasheim" - which is probably the reason
why so many say it so.<<

In response I wrote:

>I don't have the dikduk clear in my mind to  understand why there isn't a
shva under the vov -- which is why I made the  mistake in the first place.

Avsholom made himself "a place  and a name."  That makes sense to me.

He made himself "a place and  the name" -- doesn't make sense. <
RMP then clarified the issue for me, as follows:

>>Pairs of items are specified in TaNaCH as if there was a heih  hay'diah
even when the conversational English translation uses an improper  article, e.g.
B'reishis 8:22.  I learned that (any mistakes in  transmission are mine :-))
from REMT (some years ago, I had a similar  Q). <<

So I'm sending this to Mesorah just in case I'm not the only one who is
dikdukically challenged.

--Toby  Katz