[Mesorah] Yad Vashem, not Yad Veshem

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Wed Oct 10 12:54:18 PDT 2007

At 15:22 10-10-07 -0400, T613K at aol.com stated the following:

>RMP then clarified the issue for me, as follows:
>
> >>Pairs of items are specified in TaNaCH as if there was a heih
> hay'diah even when the conversational English translation uses an
> improper article, e.g. B'reishis 8:22.  I learned that (any
> mistakes in transmission are mine :-)) from REMT (some years ago, I
> had a similar Q). <<

An IMPROPER ARTICLE?

How about "zera veqatzir"?

Perhaps the answer above is not accurate always, and at times not
even in the same passuq?

Or "Vekhakh haya moneh, . . . ahat ve'arba . . . , ahat
vashesh"?  Out of seven vavei hahibbur, two have qamatz, four have
sheva, and one has qubbutz/shuruq/malafum.

BTW, in the hefatara blessing, Ashkenazim say "ha'emmet vatzedeq,"
while Seardim say "ha'emmet vehatzedeq."

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org