[Mesorah] eloke avi avraham

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:25:37 PST 2007

Hi, all,

In the leining this past Shabas afternoon, we had
    eloke avi avraham veloke avi yitchak
and also
    hatzileni na miyad achi miyad esav
.  Both "avi"s and the "achi" have a kamatz gadol.  In the shul I was in,
the baal k'ria, who read with an Ashk'nazi accent (differentiating kamatz
gadol from patach), read the first "avi" with a patach or chataf patach.
I jumped on him, correcting it to a kamatz, as "avi avraham", with a
chataf patach, is a way of saying "the father of Avraham", i.e. Terach.
So he re-read it correctly, and read "avi yitzchak" correctly too.  Then,
when he got to "miyad achi", he read _it_ with a patach or chataf patach
also.  This time, I didn't correct him: after all, I reasoned, "achi" with
a chataf-patach, meaning "the brother of", would be meaningless in that
context, so the misreading doesn't change the meaning of the phrase (and
it's not even a mistake according to the Israeli pronunciation).  What do
you all think: was I correct to correct him the first time?  Was I correct
not to the second?

Happy Chanuka,

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis