[Mesorah] FW: difference between 'vayishak' and 'vaynashek'?

Joshua Meisner jmeisner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:56:50 PST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 8:40 AM, SBA <areivim at sba2.com> wrote:
> Last week's parsha - 29:11 - Vayishak Yaakov leRochel.
> 2 pesukim later re Lavan kissing Yaakov "Vaynasheik Lo".
>
> Is there any difference between 'vayishak' and 'vaynashek'?

I posted the question on my blog (HaProzdor), and a commenter noted
that the former is kal while the latter is pi'el.  He also noted that
the latter form is found only 4 times in the Torah, 3 of them by
Lavan, and suggested that perhaps these instances were
insincere/forced, and hence the use of the intensive pi'el form.  (The
fourth instance is Yosef kissing his brothers; the only other instance
in Tanach is "Nashku bar pen ye'enaf" in Tehillim 2).

- Joshua