[Mesorah] "Vayigva Yitzchok vayomos vayeosef el amov"

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 08:34:09 PST 2007

In a message dated 12/2/2007 8:50:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
areivim at sba2.com writes:

Micha  Berger
Dov Bloom wrote:
: Acc'd to the moderns, vayeosef el amov - He  was buried in the family
: burial plot. (literally came from the idea of  likut atzamot, for a
: year the body decomposed, and after a year all the  bones were put in a
: family pile?

RARakeffet blames the  unpopularity of Austritt on this phenomenon. RSRH,
later in life, lamented  how few of his own kehillah actually bought in.
The Gemeinde owned and  controlled the cemetary. We are a very mobile
society. But to people who  have generations of ancestors buried in the
same plot, the notion of  leaving the community and therefore being buried
elsewhere was a daunting  prospect.
>.

I disagree.
After all the O (and austritt)  communities in Hungary had the same
situation. They went ahead and created  hundreds of new O communities and
cemeteries.

SBA

In our long, tragic history, we Jews have traveled far from the burial
places of our ancestors over and over and over again.

--Toby
--Toby  Katz