[Mesorah] "Vayigva Yitzchok vayomos vayeosef el amov"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 4 06:08:52 PST 2007

On Tue, December 4, 2007 7:29 am, SBA wrote:
:> This is completely true.  It is historical record that of all RSRH's
:> many
:> followers (and he had many, many adherents of his views), only about
:> 10-20 followed him in the Austritt...

Actually, I believe I once saw a list of 85 family names.

: While this could have been the case in Germany - it was not so in
: Hungary.
: One couldn't belong to 2 communities there.

Nor in Germany. One could, however, belong to the Gemeinde and still
go to hear RSRH's sermons.

But more to the point... I can't speak for RSM, but I wasn't saying
that Austritt failed to get a following. However, during RSRH's
lifetime, it wasn't a significant population. Afterward, perhaps in
part (if we buy into this theory) due to the purchase of burial space,
it did catch on. But it didn't hold sway with the majority of even
Frankfurt's O Jews.

I would be curious to know if the Austritt communities of the Oberland
were any larger.

But I think we should stop boring the medaqdeqim and move this
discussion to the proper venue.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,