[Mesorah] Chana question

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Mon Sep 25 10:41:12 PDT 2006

Hi, all; g'mar chasima tova.

When I was reading the haftara on the first day of RH (to myself, not for
the tzibur), there was a word I didn't know how to pronounce.  1Sh'muel
1:9 says:
     Vatakom Chana, achare ochla v'Shilo v'achare shaso,...
     (Chana rose, after eating in Shilo and after drinking,...)
or perhaps:
     Vatakom Chana, achare ach'la v'Shilo v'achare shaso,...
     (Chana rose, after she ate in Shilo and after drinking,...).

The first way has the two verbs -- ochla and shaso -- balanced: they're
then the same part of speech.  on the other hand, that's not proof that
that's the correct way of proouncing it.  Does anyone know (and how do you
know) which is right?

Thanks,

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh210 at math.wustl.edu                Fine print:
http://www.math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ ... legal.html

PLEASE NOTE that for a good part of August 2006 I
could not read e-mail messages, and some bounced back
to their senders.  If you sent me one, even if it did
not get returned, I may not have received and/or read
it, so please re-send it if it remains important.