[Mesorah] Wikipedia and the name "Israel"

MPoppers at kayescholer.com MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Fri Sep 1 09:01:34 PDT 2006

> I do suspect that anyone who was even a moderate knowledge of Hebrew
will understand that whereas the letters "kaf" and "khaf" are
interchangeable for purposes of translating, this is emphatically not
true of "sin" and "shin", which must be treated as independent of
each other for translation purposes, despite the fact that they use
the same glyph when nekudos are omitted. <
"Sin" and "shin" are interchangeable in T'hilim 119 (p'suqim 161-168) and
in Eichah 3 (p'suqim 61-63), just to name two sources.  I don't think this
list's member will disagree with the interpretation of the verse in
question (and, just for starters, you could note RaShY on 1-32:29, d'h'
"lo Ya'aqov," with its "s'rarah" and reference to Hosheia' 12:5), but at
least in Wiki land if not elsewhere, best IMHO to be inclusive & friendly
than to impose daled-amos facts.

Shabbas Shalom and all the best from your neighbor,
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA