[Mesorah] l'zot yikarei ishah (Zev Sero)

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Oct 29 13:42:01 PST 2006

In a message dated 10/29/2006 4:29:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
hlampel at thejnet.com writes:

Sholom  Simon wrote:

> : In Gen. 2:23, Adam says ""l'zot yikarei ishah,""  usually translated
> : something like ""this one shall be called  Woman."" However, the gender of
> : the verb ""yikarei"" is masculine,  while the pronoun (zot) and the
> : predicate noun (ishah) are both  feminine.

I always thought the translation was "For this reason she  shall be called
ishah." Just have to find what pronoun for reason (or similar  word) would be
feminine.

Zvi Lampel

My understanding was something like, "To this one, it will be called "isha"
-- with "it" not referring to anything, as in the phrase, "It is raining."
(In French they would say something like, "It rains itself.")

The difference between "she will be called Isha" and "it will be called
Isha" is that the former would refer to the particular individual (who, in fact,
was called "Chava" and not "Isha"), while the latter would refer to the
species.

--Toby  Katz