[Mesorah] l'zot yikarei ishah (Zev Sero)

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Oct 29 13:41:55 PST 2006

Zvi Lampel wrote:
> Sholom Simon wrote:
>
>  > : In Gen. 2:23, Adam says ""l'zot yikarei ishah,"" usually translated
>  > : something like ""this one shall be called Woman."" However, the
> gender of
>  > : the verb ""yikarei"" is masculine, while the pronoun (zot) and the
>  > : predicate noun (ishah) are both feminine.
>
> I always thought the translation was "For this reason she shall be
> called ishah." Just have to find what pronoun for reason (or similar
> word) would be feminine.

Where do we find "lezot" meaning "therefore" in Chumash?  And if it
means "therefore", shouldn't it be "lazot", not "lezot"?

If you are right though, that just brings RSS's question back -
according to your translation it should definitely be "tikarei".

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.