[Mesorah] l'zot yikarei ishah

MPoppers at kayescholer.com MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Fri Oct 27 09:36:22 PDT 2006

Ibn Ezra ad loc. explains, "...v'ta'am 'yiqqarei'[20] al sheim[30]," to
which the "peirush" explains:
  FN 20: shehu lashon zachar
  FN 30: R'tzono lomar k'ilu nichtav, "yiqqarei *sh'mah* ishah," ki
"yiqqarei" hu lashon zachar v'hu mibbinyan hakkaveid.

If I understand correctly, ibn Ezra is saying that the word is masculine
to match the elided word "sh'mah" (shin-mem-mappiq_haih), as "sheim" is
masculine, and the translation would be "her name shall be called
'ishah.'"

Shabbas Shalom and all the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Sholom Simon <sholom at aishdas.org>
Sent by: mesorah-bounces at lists.aishdas.org
10/24/2006 11:11 PM

mesora at aishdas.org
cc

Subject
[Mesorah] l'zot yikarei ishah

An acquaintance of mine posed the following question:

: In Gen. 2:23, Adam says "l'zot yikarei ishah," usually translated
: something like "this one shall be called Woman."  However, the gender of
: the verb "yikarei" is masculine, while the pronoun (zot) and the
: predicate noun (ishah) are both feminine.  I know that there are
: occasions where the gender or number of the verb does not agree with
: that of the subject, but my impression has been that that generally
: occurs where the "incorrectly"- gendered or -numbered verb precedes the
: subject noun, so it's as if the text tells us the verb before focusing
: on what the subject is.

Any thoughts?

-- Sholom