[Mesorah] l'zot yikarei ishah

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 24 20:11:17 PDT 2006

An acquaintance of mine posed the following question:

: In Gen. 2:23, Adam says "l'zot yikarei ishah," usually translated
: something like "this one shall be called Woman."  However, the gender of
: the verb "yikarei" is masculine, while the pronoun (zot) and the
: predicate noun (ishah) are both feminine.  I know that there are
: occasions where the gender or number of the verb does not agree with
: that of the subject, but my impression has been that that generally
: occurs where the "incorrectly"- gendered or -numbered verb precedes the
: subject noun, so it's as if the text tells us the verb before focusing
: on what the subject is.

Any thoughts?

-- Sholom