[Mesorah] Tir'eh beTov

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Oct 18 14:21:17 PDT 2006

Can anyone critique the greeting before my signature? It's borrowed 2nd-hand
from R' Wolbe zt"l, and I have been getting comments from Israelis that the
diqduq is poor.

I thought it's "Ur'ei betuv Yerushalayim" converted:
1- By being made lashon asid instead of tzivui; and
2- tuv Y-m is a semichut limiting the goodness to that of YIhQ, whereas this
is "tov" in general.

Do I misunderstand? Did I mishear the original? Or is it just archaic, and
therefore sounds wrong to the modern ear.

Tir'u beTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,