[Mesorah] 3 on Tefila

Gershon Dubin gershon.dubin at juno.com
Thu Nov 23 12:13:36 PST 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:45:04 -0500 MPoppers at kayescholer.com writes:
<<> 1. What is sholom rav; my thought was that sholom either is or isn't
and is not quantifiable. If it is, how much is "rav"? <
See Targum on T'hilim 119:165. >>
Translating "rav" to "sagi" doesn't help me.  Did you intend more than
that?

<<> 2. We mention in tefilas musaf on Rosh Chodesh, "shirei Dovid
avdecha".
Why only on Rosh Chodesh do we mention the shirei Dovid? <
We mention them every day in "Baruch sheOmar.">>
The question was about musaf;  we don't mention it in, for example,
musfei shalosh regalim when we also ask "vahavi'enu leTzion irecha" but
nothing about shirei David.

<<> 3. If we assume that shirei Dovid are the shir shel yom, how are they
"nishma'im be'irecha-they should be only amurim lifnei mizbechecha? <
We pray that they be heard in Tziyon when hQbh is meichin "mizbeiach
chadash.">>
That answers "lifnei mizbechecha", not ""nishma'im be'irecha"

Gershon
gershon.dubin at juno.com