[Avodah] O'Brien's Quality Meat - Kol DePorish MeRubbah Porish also KaVuA, OBriens Meat

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 20:58:39 PDT 2024

Please tell us more about Tosafos's definition (Chullin 95a "sefeiqo
assur") that qavua describes a case where the item that is assur is NOT
niqar.

Do you, R Micha, mean to say that Porish means that the item in Q IS
Nikkar.
Why is one case Nikkar whilst the other is not?

Do you mean Nikkar where the Safek begins?
Kavua begins in the shop [the shopper was not attentive] and in the shop he
certainly can identify if it is K or not

whilst Porish means the Safek begins in the street where it cannot be
identified. [he never had the ability to identify, even though it
certainly came from a shop where it could have been identified]

R Micha explains RAE - qavua is when the cheftza issur was once observed.
[the Safek begins in the shop where there is no TaAroves]
we knew the metzi'us, but now are in doubt [he cannot recall which shop he
went into]
this terminology - Safeiq in metzi'us vs safeiq in din - does not provide
clarity
Rov is when we don't know the metzi'us. [the Safek begins in the street
where there is a virtual TaAroves]

It seems simpler to describe that Rov can only apply where there is a
TaAroves, a mixture; the Safek is created by there being a real or virtual
mixture.
Whereas KaVuA is a Safek not generated by a mixture but by our not knowing
if we bought the non-K sausages for the dog or the K for the family.

If a fellow comes home with two bags of snags
5 non-K for the dog in one bag and 7 Kosher for the family in another bag
drops them to answer the telephone
and some time later detects the aroma of BBQ
to discover his daughter grilling 12 sausages

they are all K
it is no longer KaVuA

this is not precisely the same as Obriens QMeats

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837
+61 423 207 837