[Avodah] O'Brien's Quality Meat - Kol DePorish MeRubbah Porish also KaVuA, OBriens Meat

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 4 07:30:09 PDT 2024

On Wed, Sep 04, 2024 at 01:58:39PM +1000, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
> Please tell us more about Tosafos's definition (Chullin 95a "sefeiqo
> assur") that qavua describes a case where the item that is assur is NOT
> niqar.
>
> Do you, R Micha, mean to say that Porish means that the item in Q IS
> Nikkar.
> Why is one case Nikkar whilst the other is not?

No, 180def opposite. An item that is not niqar is subject to rov. An
item that is niqar cannot be bateil, and thus neither is the possibility
bateil berov.

> whilst Porish means the Safek begins in the street where it cannot be
> identified. [he never had the ability to identify, even though it
> certainly came from a shop where it could have been identified]

Tosafos say that qavua is because we can identify stores -- niqar.

> R Micha explains RAE...

See RAE inside, and we'll continue.

I could be misunderstanding. But he speaks of the difference between
a safeiq in the metzi'us, where rov works, and one in the din, where
rov does not. Because it once came from a known store, the meat that
was qavua had a din, but the din is now subject to safeiq.

So it all revolves on whether the din was known but now we are unsure,
or the din was not ever known (by someone who was metzuveh in the din
in question).

And therefore if I realize now that this is a piece of meat I could
have once knon the din for, because I saw O'Brian's truck...

Chodesh Tov!

Micha Berger                 Friendship is like stone. A stone has no value,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but by rubbing one stone against another,
Author: Widen Your Tent      sparks of fire emerge.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                - Rav Mordechai of Lechovitz