[Avodah] historical mtziut?

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 20:50:20 PDT 2024

The mishna in chulin (100b) features a machloket as to whether gid hanasheh
applies only to kosher animals (tanna kama) or all animals (R Yehuda). In
the Mishna itself R Yehuda brings a proof from the fact that bnai yaakov
were commanded in gid hanasheh even though non-kosher animals were
permitted to them. The response to him was that the prohibition was given
at sinai but written in its place by the yaakov story.

This raises a number of questions in my mind but I’ll just pose one area.
Is this an argument in historical mitziut (did Yosef eat gid hanasheh)? If
not, was it the result of a command or a  minhag? Did the tanaim have a
mesora as to the historical facts or were they interpreting history through
the lens of a mesora or a derivation of what the halacha was as to gid
hanasheh’s application to non-kosher animals?

Bsorot tovot

Joel Rich