[Avodah] historical mtziut?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 14 14:00:20 PDT 2024

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 05:50:20AM +0200, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> The mishna in chulin (100b) features a machloket as to whether gid hanasheh
> applies only to kosher animals (tanna kama) or all animals (R Yehuda). In
> the Mishna itself R Yehuda brings a proof from the fact that bnai yaakov
> were commanded in gid hanasheh even though non-kosher animals were
> permitted to them. The response to him was that the prohibition was given
> at sinai but written in its place by the yaakov story.
> Is this an argument in historical mitziut (did Yosef eat gid hanasheh)? If
> not, was it the result of a command or a minhag? ...

Well, if the avos observed the Torah before it was given then they
wouldn't eat gid hanasheh either way. Maybe the question would be later,
Yaaqov's children or the Mitzrayim generations.

The historical question is therefore kind of muddied. Unless one wants
to know about the act of command itself. Did Yaaqov get such a nevu'ah
or not?

But I would propose a different model: Maybe the machloqes is whether
Beris Sinai was added atop of Beris Avos, or is a replacement for it.
So then the question isn't whether Yaaqov got the command, a historical
question, but whether that command is still in effect after Matan
Torah, and today's issur is a new thing patterned after the original in
commemoration of the same battle with the mal'akh.

Micha Berger                 Life isn't about finding yourself.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Life is about creating yourself.
Author: Widen Your Tent               - George Bernard Shaw
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF