[Avodah] Looking for source

Aryeh Frimer Aryeh.Frimer at biu.ac.il
Tue Mar 26 05:27:13 PDT 2024

I have the following in my notes on Ma Nishtana - Hametz u-Matza

חָמֵץ וּמַצָּה – The child’s first question about eating Matsa resolves an interesting halakhic inquiry. It is rabbinically forbidden to eat Matsa on Erev Pesah (the 14th of Nisan), so that one will eat Matsa that night at the Seder with zest. R. Chaim Soloveitchik of Brisk was asked whether this prohibition begins from the morning of Erev Pesah or even the previous evening (the eve of 14th of Nisan). He argued that the wording of the first of the four questions (which appears in Talmud Pesahim 116a) resolves this issue simply. The opening of the question reads: “On all other nights, we eat hamets or Matsa…”. Thus Matsa is clearly permitted every night of the year, including the eve of the 14th of Nisan. (R. Hershel Schachter citing R. Joseph B. Solovitchik and R. Chaim Brisker) [There is a tradition that R. Chaim adduced this proof as a precocious child.]

Has anyone seen this printed somehwere?  This might simply be an oral tradition.  Does anyone have contact the Rav Herschel Schachter that could confirm these quotes in his name?  Can anyone confirm this tradition?  {I have checked the Relevant Brisker and Rav Haggadot}
     Much thanks.
              Besorot Tovot Yeshu'ot ve-nehamot

Professor Emeritus Aryeh A. Frimer
E-mail (Preferred): Aryeh.Frimer at biu.ac.il