[Avodah] Takanos, Minhagim Gezeiros and Seyagim (Was: Amora Differing with Tanna)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 7 14:27:53 PST 2023

On Sun, Nov 05, 2023 at 09:49:15PM -0500, Zvi Lampel via Avodah wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 5, 2023 at 7:06PM Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> >
> >     3. Gezeira deRabanan. A rabbinic "fence". These are enacted to prevent
> >        a common cause for breaking the act of the law. ....According to
> >        the Rambam, a gezeira cannot be overturned.

> Per Rambam (Mamrim 2:3) a Beis Din greater b'chohchma u'b'minyan /can/
> overturn Gezeyra, even if its practice spread throughout Jewry, as well as
> a Takanah or Minhag that has spread throughout Jewry.
>
> Only a Siyag, which he defines as a decree instituted to create a seyag
> laTorah...

> So my question remains, what then per Rambam is the descriptive
> difference between a Gezeyra and a Seyag? What Gezeyra is not a Seyag?

As my notes and I remember it, R Yonasan Sacks didn't ascribe a distinction
between gezeira and siyag to the Rambam. My notes cite the Tif'eres Yisrael
on Eiyos 1 as the source of a distinction between two kinds of gezeiros.

>> 1. Siyag. Fence (Hebrew; gezeirah is Aramaic). Something that will
>> lead to a future violation to do an error in understanding the law. Such
>> as the ban on mixing poultry and milk, lest people become lenient in
>> mixing meat and milk.

>> 2- Cheshash. Concern. Cases where the threat of violation is in the
>> current situation, because one is in a circumstance where habit taking
>> over or other accident is likely.

Since a gezeira can be uprooted by a later BD gadol mimena, and a siyag
cannot, perhaps the Rambam does hold the way the TY later describes, and
simply is assuming that the normal gezeira is to eliminate cheshashos?

Micha Berger                 When one truly looks at everyone's good side,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   others come to love him very naturally, and
Author: Widen Your Tent      he does not need even a speck of flattery.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Rabbi AY Kook