[Avodah] Takanos, Minhagim Gezeiros and Seyagim (Was: Amora Differing with Tanna)

Zvi Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 18:49:15 PST 2023

On Sun, Nov 5, 2023 at 7:06 PM Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

>     3. Gezeira deRabanan. A rabbinic "fence". These are enacted to prevent
>        a common cause for breaking the act of the law. ....According to
> the Rambam, a gezeira cannot be overturned.
>
> Per Rambam (Mamrim 2:3) a Beis Din greater b'chohchma u'b'minyan /can/
overturn Gezeyra, even if its practice spread throughout Jewry, as well as
a Takanah or Minhag that has spread throughout Jewry.

Only a Siyag, which he defines as a decree instituted to create a seyag
laTorah, whose observance spread throughout Jewry, cannot  be revoked even
by a Beis Din greater b'chochma u'b'minyan (Mamrim 2:2).

(Although even a lesser Beis Din may temporarily revoke a decree of any of
these categories if it sees a need to do so--Mamrim 2:4)

So my question remains, what then per Rambam is the descriptive
difference between a Gezeyra and a Seyag? What Gezeyra is not a Seyag?

Zvi Lampel