[Avodah] AI/Psak

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 20:33:06 PDT 2023

To a maggid shiur:
Just a few thoughts on your recent AI/psak discussion.

In its current format ChatGPT will not have all the data on the poseik
because it will only include written responses not any of the discussions
that led up to those and not ones that were oral.

A more basic issue in the whole meta-physical context is what is
consciousness or sentience, how do we know the ChatGPT will not have
hashraat shechina.

There’s also a longer-term issue concerning the joint AI/human component.
Once radiologists stop looking at thousands of scans in detail, and only
look at the questionable ones with ChatGPT, will they eventually lose their
ability to read scans much as I think many people have lost the ability to
navigate because they have Waze in their cars.

I think your concerns about getting ahead of the curve are really well
founded I can only imagine what the world will look like when you’re my age

Hashem Oz Lamo Yiten Hashem Yvarech Et Amo Bashalom
Joel Rich